Facebook
  • church interior
  • choir
  • congregation
  • congregation
  • congregation
  • teamakers
  • congregation
  • flowers

The Tower of St James Southbroom

The tower is mentioned in ‘The Great Towers of England’ by F J Allen quoted by the late Archdeacon Plaxton in the short history of the church written when he was Vicar of Southbroom. It is one of five Wiltshire towers known as the Westwood Group. The others are Westwood, Yatton Keynell, West Kington and Nettleton.

These towers are considered distinctive as a group in the country. F J Allen wrote, ‘the characteristic feature of all this group is the covering of the upper stage with window tracery of which only a small portion is perforated, while the tracery is sunk or recessed in rectangular frames’. All the towers have panelled parapets and are of oolite from north Wiltshire.

St James’ tower bears the scars of the bombardments from Jump Hill by General Waller’s forces in 1643. The cannon balls were found in the tower in 1780. Their present whereabouts is not known.

The peal of six bells was increased from four in 1909 when the third bell was recast and numbers one and two added. Number three bell was originally cast by Purdue of Bristol in 1663.

Number four bears the inscription ‘Peace and Good Neighbourhood’ and was cast in 1742, probably by Rudhall of Gloucester.

Numbers five and six were cast by Wallis of Salisbury in 1612. The bells are rung most Sunday mornings and for special occasions such as weddings.

The tower clock was installed in 1888, planned originally to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee but other plans were preferred by the town.

Following inspections of St James’ bells by two well known bell founders, Whitechapel and John Taylor & Co, various essential and preventive maintenance issues were identified; these included loose gudgeons (axles for headstocks), worn pulleys & bearings, fattened clappers heads, worn clapper bearings and cracked stays.   John Taylor & Co commenced this refurbishment work in April 2017 with completion in early June 2017 which consisted of dismantling the bells to their component parts and taking the headstocks, clappers, bearings, pulleys and stays to Bell Foundry to be overhauled then returned to the tower for reassembly and mounting in new twin row self aligning bearings. 

 

Der Turm von St James Southbroom

Der Turm wird im Buch ‘The Great Towers of England’ von F J Allen erwähnt und zitiert vom verstorbenen Erzdiakon Plaxton in der kurzen Kirchengeschichte, die er schrieb, als er Pfarrer von Southbroom war. Er ist einer von fünf Wiltshire Türmen, auch Westwood Gruppe genannt. Die anderen sind Westwood, Yatton Keynell, West Kington und Nettleton.

Diese Türme gelten als Gruppe als unverwechselbar im ganzen Land. F J Allen schrieb, ‘das charakteristische Merkmal dieser ganzen Gruppe ist die Abdeckung der oberen Stufe mit Fenstermaßwerk, von denen nur ein kleiner Teil perforiert ist, während das Maßwerk in einem rechteckigem Rahmen versenkt oder vertieft ist‘. Alle Türme haben getäfelte Brüstungen und sind aus Oolith aus Nordwiltshire.

Der Turm von St James zeigt die Narben des Bombardements vom Jump Hill von General Wallers Truppen 1643. Die Kanonenkugeln wurden 1780 im Turm gefunden. Ihr derzeitiger Aufenthaltsort ist nicht bekannt.

Das Geläut wurde 1909 von vier auf sechs Glocken erhöht, als die dritte Glocke neu gegossen wurde und Nummer eins und zwei dazukamen. Glocke Nummer drei wurde ursprünglich 1663 von Purdue in Bristol gegossen.

Nummer vier trägt die Inschrift “Friede und gute Nachbarschaft” und wurde 1742 gegossen, wahrscheinlich von Rudhall in Gloucester.

Nummer fünf und sechs wurden 1612 von Wallis in Salisbury gegossen. Die Glocken werden fast jeden Sonntag geläutet, und auch bei besonderen Anlässen, wie Hochzeiten.

Die Turmuhr wurde 1888 installiert, ursprünglich, um das Goldene Jubiläum von Queen Victoria zu feiern, aber dann wurden andere Pläne von der Stadt bevorzugt.

Anfang April 2017 begannen John Taylor & Co mit der Renovierung der Glocken mit der Fertigstellung Anfang Juni 2017. Die Renovierung bestand daraus, die Glocken in ihre Bestandteile zu zerlegen und dann die Spindelstöcke, Klöppel, Kugellager, Seilrollen und Verankerungen zur Glockengießerei zu schicken. Dort wurden sie überarbeitet, dann zum Turm zur Wiedermontage zurückgeschickt und in neue zweireihige Pendellager montiert.

 

La tour du St Jacques Southbroom

On parle de la tour dans le livre «  Les tours très connues de l'Angleterre » par F J Allen qu’a été cité par l’archidiacre défunt Plaxton dans l'histoire courte de l'église écrite quand il était curé de Southbroom.

Elle est l'une des cinq tours du WILTSHIRE connues sous le nom de « la groupe de Westwood ». Les autres sont Westwood, Yatton Keynell, Kington Occidental et Nettleton. Ces tours sont considérées distinctives en tant que groupe dans le pays.

F J Allen a écrit, « la caractéristique de tout ce groupe est la bâche de l'étape supérieure avec le réseau de la vitre dont seulement une petite partie est perforée, alors que le réseau est descendu ou enfoncé dans les armatures rectangulaires ».

Toutes les tours ont des parapets lambrissés et sont d'oolite du WILTSHIRE du nord.

La tour de St Jacques soutient les cicatrices des bombardements d’une colline voisine par des forces du Général Waller en 1643.

Les boules de canon ont été trouvées dans la tour en 1780. Leur lieu de séjour actuel est inconnu.

Le carillon de six cloches a été augmenté de quatre en 1909 quand la troisième cloche a été remaniée et les numéros un et deux additionnées.

La cloche numéro trois a été à l'origine moulée par Purdue de Bristol en 1663. La cloche numéro quatre porte l'inscription « La paix et le bon voisinage » et a été moulé en 1742, probablement par Rudhall de Gloucester.

Les numéros cinq et six ont été moulées par Wallis de Salisbury en 1612. Les cloches sonnent à la plupart des matins de dimanche et pour des occasions spéciales telles que les mariages.

L'horloge de la tour a été installée en 1888, prévue à l'origine pour célébrer le jubilé d'or de la Reine Victoria, mais d'autres projets ont été préférés par la ville.

 

Sunday 23 July

10.00 Family Holy Communion

Church giving - click here for more information
All the ministries at St James' Church are financed through the generosity of its members.

St James' Latest Events

30 Jul 2017
10:00AM - 11:30AM
United Family Worship
06 Aug 2017
10:00AM - 11:30AM
United Family Worship

The Noise Devizes

The Noise Devizes

 

 

Connect Groups - click here for more information